Saturday, May 15, 2010

Help, I lost my son and want him back!


So my perfect little Blake, who never cried as a baby, slept through the night at a month, never experienced the terrible two's, or three's for that matter, and is smarter and sweeter than you can possibly imagine, is gone! I don't know when it happened exactly, but in just the last two weeks, someone else is living in this sweet boy's body. This "new" Blake is whinny, say's "no" to his parents, fights bedtime, picks on his brother, and is how can I say this lightly...disrespectful! My heart is breaking and I am at my wit's end!

As a parent you try to do everything right. You love your child, you give him a warm bed to sleep in and put food on the table. You give them a bedtime, set boundaries, read to them nightly, buy them nice things (but not always), send them to a very expensive Catholic school, yet still they think all you ever do is tell them no! Somehow Blake has got it in his mind that we expect him to be perfect. Perfect? What is that anyways? Not something anyone in this family is...although I must admit, Patrick thinks he is pretty close to.

So what do you do? Do you ground this 6 year old? Take away all of his toys? Strip his room? Well, that is where this is heading. Lego's are packed away, computer and the wii are off limits, bedtime is now half an hour earlier, and kid's t.v. programs are going to be very limited (and that is only because I have two younger kids). Patrick and I have both talked to him individually about his behavior and together, even Grandma Sue has spoken with him but we still have a whinny, entitled child. Now don't get me wrong, there are still glimpses of that sweet, loving child, but I want him back full time! Oh the joys of parenting! For those of you who have been there...this is only temporary, right?

No comments: